Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Learning Never Stops

Last week in my immigrant families class, we had an exercise where we identified how many generations our families had been in this country. We created a circle that spanned from 1st generation to me. Literally, everyone knew what generation they were a part of. Today, I explained to my professor that there are African-American populations of this country that have no idea when their ancestors were brought to this country. She said she hadn’t thought of that.

I had never been asked that question in my life.

2 comments:

leslie.t said...

i feel you on this one.. i remember in middle school we had to bring in a culture item and explain where are grandparents were from. i didn't bring anything but a picture of africa with a question mark.
love ya

KIMTRON said...

You don't need a tree/map to tell you about the ancestral wisdom you are/possess/gain/have within your blood... that wisdom handed to you is all you'll have/need when you go back home. There's a saying from Africa a high school teacher told me that says: "Heaven is Home and Earth is the Marketplace," because Earth is the place where you come to get/learn something. The learning never stops. You're right. History and culture is all around you and your family.